Monday, July 28, 2008

'Running'

Over the weekend Stosh, Sheri, Mom and I went to dinner at La Bistro in Stockton. We were saying what fun it would be to bring Ford and Kate and Tom and Corliss to this really neat place. One thing led to another in the conversation and we started talking about Dayton, the mill, Dad, etc. An incident came to me that I want to share and it may lend some insight into the psychie of my nephew Ford.

Chuck (my deceased husband) and I were in Dayton visiting. Corliss and Tom were there (I think they lived in Sheridan at the time) with the children. We were planning a picnic over at the mill because it is on the Tongue River and had a special place that Dad liked to go and cook out. Chuck was an avid 'runner' and decided he would run to the mill instead of riding in dad's van. Ford decided he would run with Uncle Chuck (I think he was about 3 years old). Chuck told him he could run with him but he would have to keep up (thinking, I'm sure, that Ford would go a short distance and then ride the rest of the way). Well, to every one's surprise Ford ran the whole way. He would say to Chuck "I'm a little ahind Unka Chuck but I'll catch up". Chuck, of course, slowed his pace so Ford stayed fairly close to him. We all followed in the van with Dad laughing all the way to the mill. I remember over the years talking with Chuck about those things and that particular incident always brought a big smile to his face. I think that 'run' defines my nephew and the type of dedicated individual he is today.

Love,

Auntie Carla

No comments: