Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I pinned a Colonel....

For those of you who don’t know…my sister Jill (its just easier that way) was promoted to Colonel on Saturday….it is a huge honor, deserving of what the military calls a pinning ceremony where the shoulderboards on the recipients uniform are exchanged for the new rank insignia – family came from all over and stayed at our house for the weekend--

Aunt Carla, Uncle Stosh and Aunt Sherry, Mom and Dad all flew in Friday night, rented a car and showed up at our house around 9pm. Blayne brought Tehya over and Moggie promptly gave her about 12 new adorable outfits – essentially unpacking her entire suitcase. We all stayed up late talking, telling stories and drinking beer. Baylor slept with Grandpa, his new BFF.

Saturday, most everyone slept in and I made breakfast for the bunch. We were busy with food, showers, ironing, wrapping finding cameras, picking jewelry, hair, directions and cars – the house was alive! There were people all over, in every room, in every corner…and it was perfect.

The ceremony was packed! A real tribute to Jill who promptly made it a tribute to you. She talked about your dedication and service to your country, the fact that you missed two birthday’s last time you went over and another one this time, she wanted you to be the one that “pinned” her on her very special day….and prayed and prayed that it would work out that you were still here. (I think we were all hoping for that…) However, the Army had different plans, so you were gone and Jill was left to decide who you would want to fill your place and she thought…. that you would have picked me. (“or your brother, her ex husband and THAT would have been weird”) So in front of your family and 300+ highranking military personnel – I pinned a colonel, my sister – Jill Lannan. How freakin’ cool is that?!?!?!?

Afterwards we partied!!! Lannan style – those of you at the wedding know what I mean – there was cake and scotch, enough said?

I put your parents on a plane on Sunday (one in a HUGE leg cast, the other in an arm sling) it’s a long story that I’ll tell you when you get back…and cried the whole way home like I did when you left.

They are all amazing people. Aunt Carla is just so full of life and generous. Uncle Stosh & Aunt Sherry are us…totally us, down to the last detail – I think they are our kindred spirit couple. And your Mom and Dad – there’s nothing they wouldn’t do for their kids…they are real salt of the earth Fordo…you are one lucky guy! Baylor and I miss them terribly – Baylor mostly misses Carla who fed him salami and crackers…(but still the sentiment is there).

I would also like to remind you that Jill – who we like NEVER see – lives close and loves you a whole lot…and I am just so honored that she included me in a such a major way in her ceremony. I don’t think I’ve ever been honored liked that, and from someone who is doing such an amazing job at life. She has raised the coolest kid I have ever met and in addition to being good at what she does, seems to be genuinely happy doing it, which is obvious by the amount of people that follow her. She has built a wonderful life with Paul and her new promotion and it is inspiring to know that you can balance a career, a relationship, family and friends and have it all!

You meet cool people everyday – I am luck enough to be related to them. Before I met Ford, I was pretty sure that I had the coolest family ever...now, with the Lannan/Olson addition - it's clinched....our families rock!

To my new family – I love you all and appreciate all that you do for both Ford and I, especially while he is away. It is an honor to be welcomed into the family in such an overwhelming way – thank you. Also – sorry I lost it at lunch, I couldn’t believe that I missed another call from him – but way to go Mom for solving the mystery!!!

No comments: