Monday, June 23, 2008

Gretings from your little budy Malk


Hey Fordo

I hope this email finds you and your team safe and healthy. First of all...THE MOUSTACHE IS FREAKIN' MONEY!!!! You've inspired me to try and grow one. Since I still only shave about four times a week, I figure it should be filled in nicely
sometime around November...2009.

I've been meaning to write you for quite a while and I was reminded of the fact that I haven't in a pretty interesting way....allow me to elaborate.

Every summer a couple of buddies and I do a SCUBA trip to so some pretty cool locations and a few weeks ago we arrived on Isla Morada which is about half way down the Florida Keys. There are a tonn of pretty big wrecks down there and one morning we found ourselves diving on the USS Spiegel Grove (about 450ft feet long!) which was a old Navy Landing Ship (LSD-32). From the dive boat we descended about mid-ship and then proceeded down to the bottom at about 125 feet and made our way the stern where the troop/vehicle/equipment bay is. We swam into the bay an then started navigating our way through the hallways and rooms of the wreck until I found myself inside the Captains Bridge about 20 minutes later. I was totally pumped after doing probably one of the coolest dives of my life and regretfully, it was time to start heading back to the surface. I swam out one of the doors, turned left to head towards oneof the accent lines and found this as the view out my mask...

We see American flags daily but for some reason this one made me immediately think of you and what the men and women like you do for all of us. It's because of everyone who is currently (or has ever been in uniform) that I have the freedom to go on these incredible adventures and at the end of the day, go to my home and know I'm safe. I know I'm safe because I've got my buddy Ford watching my back and for that I am truly humbled and grateful. Although I wish you were back home with us, I know your are fighting the good fight and serving our country with honor and I can't tell you what a sense of pride it gives me when I think about you...even at 125 feet underwater!

Before I headed to the ascent line I closed my eyes and said a little prayer:

May God walk beside you each day May He protect you if harm comes your way.

May He give you wisdom in all that you do and keep you safe with each task you pursue.

May He bring swift end to the world's troubled brow and His most precious peace on us then endow.

May you know you stay in our thoughts and our hearts when your path and your duty keep us apart.

May the days pass quickly until you're back home again.

Be safe, be strong and always know that you are in our thoughts and prayers. Talk to you soon!

Your little buddy,

Malk

PS - we need to work on getting the ARMY to pay for some SCUBA training for you!!!

4 comments:

9/3 through 9/6 (Friday-Monday) said...

Awesome Mikey. I bet Uncle Stosh will like it too (he's a Master Chief)! The Army does have scuba school, so it's only a matter of time for the winds to change, right now he's totally into the skydiving thing - but the sooner that gets abadoned...the better. I would love to do a trip sometime with you and "'dre"....
u for scuba?

Anonymous said...

Ahhh- U are for SCUBA.
Great Post.

tclannan said...

Maulk.. Your prayer for Fordo was awesome! I really enjoyed reading every thing you wrote. Thank Yuo! Corliss

tclannan said...

Someday I might learn how to spell you:) corliss